Skip to main content

Benefits - Same-Sex Partners and Eligibility Is my same-sex partner eligible for insurance coverage under my plan?

Most University of Houston insurance is provided through the Employees Retirement System of Texas (ERS). ERS adheres to Texas state law, which defines family members as a spouse and an unmarried dependent child under age 25. Public Law 104-199, Defense of Marriage Act, states, " the word 'marriage' means only a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife, and the word 'spouse' refers only to a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife."

Optional providers may provide benefits to same-sex partners, depending on the carrier.


Need additional assistance? Call the HR Service Center at 713-743-3988 to discuss your situation in greater detail or to schedule an appointment with a Benefits representative.