Harry S. Truman Scholarship
UH Campus Deadline: December 1, 2017
National Final Deadline: February 6, 2018
Each year, the Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation awards 60 to 65 awards to college juniors with exceptional leadership potential who are committed to careers in government, the nonprofit or advocacy sectors, education or elsewhere in public service. Each Truman Scholar receives up to $30,000 for graduate study.
Candidates must be nominated by the Office of Undergraduate Research to apply for this award. UH can nominate up to four (4) candidates. Contact Dr. Jennifer Asmussen for more information.
Eligible candidates should:
- Be a full-time junior at the time of application OR have senior-level standing in the third year of college enrollment OR be a senior and a resident of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, or a Pacific Island.
- Be a U.S. citizen (or a U.S. national from a Pacific Island) or expect to receive citizenship by the date the Scholarship will be awarded.
- Intend to work in government, education, the nonprofit sector, or the public interest/advocacy sector and would like to get a master's degree, a doctorate, or a professional degree.
- Have demonstrated academic excellence, strong leadership ability, and a capability to analyze a public issue in student’s intended career area.
- Read the guidelines and download the sample application online on the Truman Scholarship website.
- Should you decide to apply for the campus competition, download the sample online application on the Truman Scholarship website. Submit a completed application, an unofficial transcript, and three letters of recommendation to the Office of Undergraduate Research. If your letter writers would prefer, they may email their letters directly to the Dr. Jennifer Asmussen.
- If you are planning to apply for the campus competition, it is also a good idea to schedule an appointment with a representative from the Office of Undergraduate Research.
- At the meeting: Plan to provide the names of at least three (3) letter writers. Bring in a résumé listing awards, honors, activities, research, jobs, service, leadership, hobbies, etc.
Contact Dr. Jennifer Asmussen if you’re interested in applying for this scholarship.