Barry Goldwater Scholarship
UH Campus Deadline: December 2, 2016
National Final Deadline: January 27, 2017 (5pm CST)
The Foundation Trustees award up to 300 Goldwater Scholarships to sophomores and juniors who demonstrate academic excellence and intend to pursue research careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering. This competitive scholarship covers eligible expenses for undergraduate tuition, fees, books, and room and board, up to a maximum of $7,500 annually.
Candidates must be nominated by the Office of Undergraduate Research's selection committee to apply for the award. The UH Goldwater nominating committee may nominate up to four (4) candidates. Contact Dr. Jennifer Asmussen at the Office of Undergraduate Research for more information.
Eligible candidates should:
- Be a full-time matriculated sophomore or junior at the time of application.
- Have a grade-point average of at least "B" (or the equivalent) and be in the upper fourth of the class
- Be a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident, or a U.S. national. Nominations from permanent residents must include a letter of the nominee's intent to obtain U.S. citizenship and a photocopy of the Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as the Alien Registration Card).
- Create an account on the Goldwater Scholarship website and complete the pre-application. Once you submit the pre-application, a representative from the Office of Undergraduate Research will give you access to the full online application.
- To be considered for a campus nomination, you must submit the following items by the campus deadline:
- A completed online application (submitted to the online application on the Goldwater Scholarship website)
- A two-page research proposal (submitted to the online application on the Goldwater Scholarship website)
- Three letters of recommendation submitted to Dr. Jennifer Asmussen via email or campus mail
- A unofficial copy of your academic transcripts
If you are planning to apply for the campus competition, it is also a good idea to schedule an appointment to meet with a representative from the Office of Undergraduate Research.
Contact Dr. Jennifer Asmussen at the Office of Undergraduate Research if you’re interested in applying for this scholarship.