Nationally Competitive Scholarships
Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Graduate Arts Award
Phase One Deadline: November 28, 2012
UH may nominate two candidates for Phase Two. There may be a campus deadline set in January to nominate the two Phase Two candidates for UH.
Phase Two Deadline: February 21, 2013
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation's Graduate Arts Award enables students or recent alumni with exceptional artistic or creative promise and financial need to pursue up to three years of study at an accredited graduate institution in the U.S. or abroad. Awards can be as much as $50,000 annually. In 2013, the Foundation will select up to 15 recipients for this award.
Candidates must be nominated by the UH Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Faculty Representative. UH may nominate up to two (2) students to be considered for this award. A campus deadline may be set in January to determine the two nominees for Phase Two. Contact the Office of Undergraduate Research for more information.
Eligible candidates should:
- Have senior standing or have graduated from an accredited four-year U.S. college or university with the past five years.
- Have a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.20 or better on a scale of 4.0 (or the equivalent).
- Demonstrate unmet financial need.
- Have a bachelor's degree by the start of the fall of the application date.
- Plan to begin their first graduate degree program in the performing arts, visual arts, or creative writing at an accredited college or university in the fall the application date. Candidates should have a goal of being a professional performing artist.
- Not have been previously nominated for the Graduate Arts Award.
- For Phase One: Create an account on the website, fill out the short application, submit financial information, and upload your portfolio by the Phase One deadline.
- As you are preparing your Phase One application, we strongly encourage you to begin gathering the required materials for Phase Two so that you will be prepared to submit your Phase Two application quickly should you be invited to do so.
- For Phase Two: Two (2) semifinalists will be nominated by the UH Selection Committee to submit additional information in Phase Two of the application process. A campus deadline may be set in January to determine two nominees for Phase Two.
- The two nominees will submit the Phase Two online application, student and parent financial forms, a Student Aid Report, two (2) letters of recommendation, and a nomination from the UH Faculty Representative.
Contact the Office of Undergraduate Research if you’re interested in applying for this scholarship.