Nationally Competitive Scholarships
Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Graduate Arts Award
Phase One Deadline: November 26, 2013 at noon (central time) - Phase One Deadline has passed
UH may nominate two candidates for Phase Two. Should there be more than two candidates eligible to advance to the Phase Two application process, the campus deadline for Phase Two nominations is Friday, January 17, 2014.
Phase Two Campus Deadline: February 7, 2014 at 11:59 p.m. (central time)
Phase Two Deadline: February 25, 2014 at noon
Wednesday, January 17, 2014 – Students invited to submit a Phase Two application will receive notification from the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation
Friday, February 7, 2014 – Complete Phase Two applications due; submit to the Jack Kent Cooke website
Monday, February 17, 2014 – Final two applicants notified of official university nomination
Tuesday, February 25, 2014 – Application deadline
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation's Graduate Arts Award enables students or recent alumni with exceptional artistic or creative promise and financial need to pursue up to three years of study at an accredited graduate institution in the U.S. or abroad. Awards can be as much as $50,000 annually.
Candidates must be nominated by the UH Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Selection Committee. This committee will nominate two (2) students to apply for Phase Two.
Eligible candidates should:
- Have senior standing or have graduated from an accredited four-year U.S. college or university with the past five years.
- Have a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.20 or better on a scale of 4.0 (or the equivalent).
- Demonstrate unmet financial need.
- Have a bachelor's degree by the start of the coming fall semester.
- Plan to begin their first graduate degree program in the performing arts, visual arts, or creative writing at an accredited college or university in the fall the application date. Candidates should have a goal of being a professional performing artist.
- Not have been previously nominated for the Graduate Arts Award.
- For Phase One: Create an account on the website, fill out the application which includes official transcripts, one letter of recommendation, financial information, and uploading your portfolio by the Phase One deadline.
- As you are preparing your Phase One application, we strongly encourage you to begin gathering the required materials for Phase Two so that you will be prepared to submit your Phase Two application quickly should you be invited to do so. (Phase One Deadline has passed)
- Students invited to submit a Phase Two application will be notified
- For Phase Two: All semifinalists must submit a complete Phase Two application to the Jack Kent Cooke website
- Two (2) semifinalists will be chosen by the UH Selection Committee for official university nomination
- Final Phase Two applications are due on February 25, 2014
Contact the Office of Undergraduate Research if you’re interested in applying for this scholarship.