This minor is multidisciplinary. The minor encourages leadership development by educating students for and about leadership in a complex world. The goal of the minor is to prepare students to serve effectively in formal and informal leadership roles in local, national, and global contexts.
For a minor in Leadership Studies, a student must complete 16 semester hours of approved course work, of which 13 semester hours must be advanced, including:
- One foundation course: HON 3330.
- One capstone course: HON 4130.
- Leadership as an Individual. 3 hours from COMM 1331, COMM 1333, HON 4397, PHIL 3350, PHIL 3351, and SOC 2310.
- Leadership within Group/Organizations. 3 hours from COMM 3332, COMM 3358, EPSY 3300, MANA 3335, POLS 3388, and SOC 3342.
- Leadership with a Global Context. 3 hours from HON 3397, HON 4360, POLS 3365, POLS 3380, POLS 4315, and SOC 3365.
- Field Experience. 3 hours of approved electives may be satisfied by an internship, senior honors thesis, service learning, special topics course, or study abroad.
- Students may petition appropriate classes for credit toward the minor upon the approval of the Dean of the Honors College and the Director of the Leadership Studies minor.
- A maximum of 6 semester hours of completed minor coursework may be counted towards a student’s major. Note that any course that counts towards a student’s major and towards the Core Curriculum cannot also count towards the 16 semester hours required for the minor.
Apply for the Leadership Studies minor here.