Notice of Privacy Practices
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. HIPAA PRIVACY RULES REQUIRE THAT WE FURNISH YOU WITH THIS NOTICE. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
Understanding your health information: Each time you visit the UH Health Center, a record of your visit is made. This record contains information about your symptoms, examinations, test results, medications, allergies, and the plan for your care. This information is referred to as your health or medical record and is an essential part of the health care we provide to you. Your medical record contains personal health information and there are state and federal laws to protect the privacy of this information.
How your information is used: The physicians, nurses, and other clinical staff involved in your care will document in your record about the care provided for you. Your physician may share information about your condition with other physicians in consultation to make a diagnosis. All UH Health Center physicians, nurses and other clinical staff can access same information in chart. The UH Health Center may use your medical information as required by the student health insurance to obtain payment for your treatment. We also may use and disclose your medical information to improve the quality of care (for example, for review and training purposes).
Other ways your medical information may be used: Your medical information may be used, unless you ask for restrictions on a specific use of disclosure for the following purposes:
- Appointment reminders
- To carry out health care treatment, payment, and operations functions through business associates, e.g., for radiology services, certain lab tests, etc.
- Health oversight activities such as audits, inspections, investigations, and licensure.
- Certain research projects.
- To prevent a serious threat to health or safety.
- Law enforcement (e.g., in response to a court order or other legal process; to identify or locate an individual being sought by authorities; circumstances relating to reporting information about a crime).
- National security and intelligence activities.
- Lawsuits and disputes. (We will attempt to provide you advance notice of a subpoena before disclosing the information.
- As required by law.
Your authorization is required for other disclosures: Except as described above, we will not use or disclose our medical information unless you authorize the UH Health Center in writing to disclose your information. You may revoke your permission, which will be effective only after the date of your written revocation.
You have rights regarding your medical information. You have the following rights regarding your medical information, provided that you make a written request to invoke the right on the form provided by the UH Health Center.
- Right to request restrictions. You may request limitations on your medical information we use or disclose for health care treatment, payment, or operations (e.g., you may ask us not to disclose that you have had a particular surgery), but we are not required to agree to your request. If we agree, we will comply with your request unless the information is needed to provide you with emergency services.
- Right to confidential communications. You may request communication in a certain way or at a certain location, but you must specify how or where you wish to be contacted.
- Right to inspect and request a copy. You have the right to inspect and request a copy of your medical information regarding decisions about your care. The UH Health Center charges a fee for copying, mailing, and faxing medical records.
- Right to request Amendment. If you believe that the medical information we have about you is incorrect or incomplete, you may request an amendment. UH Health Center is not required to accept the amendment.
- Right to a copy of this notice. You may request a paper copy of this Notice at any time, even if you have been provided with an electronic copy. You may obtain an electronic copy of this Notice at our website: www.uh.edu/admin/hc
Requirements regarding this notice. The UH Health Center is required by Federal law to provide you with this Notice. We will be governed by this Notice for as long as it is in effect. The UH Health Center may change this Notice and these changes will be effective for medical information we have about you as well as any information we receive in the future. Each time you register at the UH Health Center for health care services, you may receive a copy of the Notice in effect at that time.
Complaints. If you believe your privacy rights have been violated, you may file a complaint with the UH Health Center or with the Secretary of the United States Department of Health and Human Services. You will not be penalized or retaliated against in any way for making a complaint to the UH Health Center or the United States Department of Health and Human Services.
Contact: Call the UH Health Center Director at (713) 743-5151 or the Division of Student Affairs Office at (713) 743-5390 if:
- You have a complaint.
- You have any questions about this Notice.
- You wish to request restrictions on uses and disclosures for health care treatment, payment, or operations.
- You wish to obtain a form to exercise your individual rights described in Paragraph V.