There are multiple methods by which graduate and professional students at the University of Houston can fund college. Departments provide aid in the form of scholarships, fellowships, and assistantships. Additionally, there are countless external resources available for students to obtain funding for their respective programs.
Please click the sources of funding to see additional information:
- Graduate Assistantships
- Financial Aid by College
- External Scholarships
- Comprehensive Databases
UH fellowships provide students support beyond normal graduate assistantships. Fellowships may be combined with awards offered by colleges and departments in order to provide students with a financial package. More than 2,000 fellowships are offered each year to qualified students in all fields of study.
- Graduate Tuition Fellowship
- Presidential Graduate Fellowship
- Houston Endowment Fellowship
- Cullen Graduate Fellowship Travel Grant
The Presidential and Houston Endowment Fellowship was established to assist college departments and programs to identify and recruit highly-qualified Ph.D. students by enhancing the competitiveness of the stipends offered for doctoral study.
These two-year fellowships are available to students entering graduate or professional programs at the University of Houston. Preference is given to students pursuing a doctoral degree. University departments are encouraged to nominate students during the spring admissions process.
Only students in graduate standing may seek a graduate assistantship.
Graduate students must meet minimal university requirements to be eligible for a graduate assistantship. For university policies on graduate assistantships please refer to the graduate catalog.
The regulations and degree requirements outlined are approved by the Graduate and Professional Studies Council (GPSC). Each individual college within the University of Houston establishes and monitors its own graduate programs. University regulations are established as minimal standards for graduate studies at UH.
Each individual college or program may have entrance and degree requirements exceeding those established by the university. Prospective and current graduate students must contact the individual college or department for information concerning its graduate or professional requirements.
The following is a list of financial aid segmented by college
Bauer College of Business
Cullen College of Engineering
- Doctoral Fellowships
- Presidential Fellowships
- Electrical and Computer Engineering Fellowships
- Industrial Engineering Fellowships
- Mechanical Engineering Fellowships
- Petroleum Engineering Fellowships
College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
- Communications Scholarships
- Economics Ph.D. Fellowships
- Health and Human Performance Teaching Fellowships/Graduate Assistantships
- Hispanic Studies Fellowships
- Moores School of Music Scholarships
- Philosophy Teaching Assistantships/Fellowships
College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
- Chemistry Stipend and Fellowships
- Computer Science Graduate Assistantships
- Earth and Atmospheric Sciences Scholarships
- Earth and Atmospheric Sciences Graduate Assistantships
- Mathematics Assistantships/Fellowships
- Physics Fellowships
- Technology Scholarships
College of Pharmacy
College of Optometry
The Graduate and Professional studies office prioritizes helping fund your education while at UH. There are scholarship opportunities available for nearly every graduate or professional student through thousands of graduate and professional scholarships and fellowships available from outside sources. Click your respective college or department to find scholarships that may pertain to you.
Scholarships by college:
- Hotel & Restaurant Management
- Liberal Arts & Social Sciences
- Natural Sciences & Mathematics
- Social Work
- Center for Architecture Foundation Fellowships
- Deborah J. Norden Fund
- Enterprise Rose Architectural Fellowship
- Kate Neal Kinley Memorial Fellowship
- Loeb Fellowship
- MacDowell Fellowship
- National Building Museum Field Fellowship
- Skidmore, Owings & Merrill Foundation
- AICPA Fellowship for Minority Accounting Educators
- National Society of Hispanic MBA's Scholarship (NSHMBA)
- MBA Scholarships 101
- Federal Student Aid
- Teaching Scholarships, Fellowships and Awards
- 101 Scholarships Just for Teachers
- ASEE Helen T. Carr Fellowship Program
- ASME Bruce J. Heim Foundation Scholarship
- The Buckminster Fuller Challenge
- SMART Scholarship
- The Rama Scholarship for the American Dream
- AH&LEF Graduate Scholarship
- Tourism Cares Academic Scholarship Program
- There are no known External Scholarships at this time.
- Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU)
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
- National Science Foundation
- Smithsonian Institute Fellowship
The following resources are available to help you in search for scholarship and fellowships.