The Cullen Graduate Fellowship Travel Grant (CFTG) is a competitive fellowship program established to support graduate student travel to meetings, conferences, performances, and exhibits to showcase their research and scholarly work. This travel grant program is designed both to enhance professional development opportunities for the students and to further promote the status of the University of Houston as a Carnegie-designated Tier One research university.
Eligibility: The following minimum requirements must be met to qualify for a Cullen Fellowship Travel Grant:
- The applicant must be a recipient of the Graduate Tuition Fellowship (GTF) at the time of application submission and award, if selected;
- The applicant’s work must be accepted to be presented at a competitive meeting, conference, performance, or exhibit. Only travel to the events with competitive selection criteria for the participants is supported by this travel grant;
- Event dates must occur after the deadline of the application submission
- The applicant’s college/department/program has to commit to cover a minimum of 25% of the conference costs. The Travel Grant will cover up to 75% of the event and travel costs, or up to $750.00, whichever is less.
Selection Criteria: Due to the limited availability of funds, the applications received for the Cullen Graduate Fellowship Travel Grant will be ranked in the following order:
- 1st Priority: Presented work will appear in a peer-reviewed publication.
- 2nd Priority: Presented work will appear in published proceedings of the event.
- 3rd Priority: Abstract or digest of the presentations will be published or appear online.
Award Description: The Cullen Graduate Fellowship Travel Grant is a reimbursement award and will reimburse the student upon submission of the event and travel documentation in accordance with the University of Houston student travel policies (MAPP 04.02.04).
Application Procedure: Applicants must submit the following:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Abstract, if available (not required)
- Written description by the applicant of the event detailing the following: event selectivity, what it means to be “invited” to the event, and the applicant’s research that will be presented;
- Support letter from the applicant’s faculty advisor or graduate chair attesting the following: quality of the work presented, quality/prestige of the event, event selectivity, what it means to be “invited”, and how the event participation is directly related to the applicant’s work at the University of Houston;
- Document confirmation of presentation (letter or email is acceptable) with the applicant’s name clearly listed as a presenter or performer to verify the student’s acceptance to participate in the event;
- Application budget sheet signed by applicant’s department regarding the amount of funding requested, a department commitment to provide at least 25% of the cost, and a list of expenses.
Application Deadline: Due to the wide-ranging schedules of conferences, there will be a quarterly deadline for Cullen Fellowship Travel Grant applications. There will be a 3-4 week review period following these deadlines. Applications must be received by 11:59PM CST on the application submission deadline.
- Quarter 1: March 12, 2017
- Quarter 2: June 11, 2017
- Quarter 3: September 10, 2017
- Quarter 4: December 12, 2016