Recommended Testing Schedule
Introduction to Certification Presentation
Introduction to Certification - Professional Track Presentation
PPR Review Slide Presentation Part 1
PPR Review Slide Presentation Part 2
TExES Retake Limit
Beginning September 1, 2015, candidates will be limited to four (4) attempts to retake any certification examination. The TEA Retake FAQ sheet will help answer many of your questions.
To request TExES Exam approval:
- Complete and submit the TExES Registration Request Form for each desired exam. (Allow up to two weeks for processing.) Approval will be emailed to the address on the form.
- Go to Educator Certification Online System to set up an account.
- Go to ETS TEXES website to set up your testing account, register for your approved exams, and pay testing fees.
For questions or concerns, please contact Patty Siller.
To apply for access to a TEAL account:Please go to https://secure.sbec.state.tx.us/SBECOnline/TEAL_End_User_Training_ECOS.pdf
About the TExES
The Texas Examinations of Educator Standards™ (TExES™) are criterion-referenced examinations designed to measure a candidate's knowledge in relation to an established criterion rather than to the performance of other candidates. The TExES Educator Standards, based on the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS), form the foundation for the TExES tests.
All of the tests in the TExES program contain multiple-choice questions. Some tests also have additional types of questions (e.g., open-ended written or oral responses).
For more information about individual tests and test composition, see the preparation manual for each test.
TExES Policies and Procedures
All initial educator certification candidates must successfully complete at least two TExES exams –
- Content (Subject Area) AND;
- Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities Exam (EC-12 PPR)
Exceptions apply to EC-6 Bilingual Generalist-Spanish certification which requires the BTLPT and EC-6/Special Education which requires the Special Education EC-12.
All professional educator certification candidates must successfully complete one TExES that is appropriate to their certification area.
State Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES) approval
Requirements for Test Approvals (Finishers)
Final Draft Approved/Adopted
STATE BOARD FOR EDUCATOR CERTIFICATION
PROFESSIONAL EDUCATOR PREPARATION AND CERTIFICATION
ASSESSMENT OF EDUCATORS
After completing all coursework and student teaching, students are then considered to be “finishers” in ASEP.
According to TAC 230.21(c), a candidate who is a finisher may take the exam.
(c) A candidate seeking a standard certificate as an educator based on completion of an approved EPP may take the appropriate certification examination (s) required by subsection
(b) of this section only at such time as the EPP determines the candidate's readiness to take the examinations, or upon successful completion of the EPP, whichever comes first.
NOTE: Always include your People Soft ID# and TEA ID# on all e-mail correspondence.
- Attempt required “Benchmark” tests and other requirements.
- E-mail Mr. George McCready for permission to take State TExES test(s). In addition to your People Soft ID# and TEA ID# include your date of birth (DOB) in the e-mail.
- The Assistant Certification Officer to give test approval(s) thru your TEAL account so you can register. You will receive an e-mail after test approval is completed. NOTE: Contact Mr. McCready only. Do not “cc:” others about testing.
- Estimated test approval process takes approximately 10 business days (Monday thru Friday).
How to Register for the TExES
The ETS Test Registration Payment Demo for Texas.gov includes screen shots of the registration process for a candidate registering for a test through the ETS system and then making a payment through the Texas.gov system. Slides are also included showing how payments will work for ancillary fees (e.g., change fees, score review fees, international site fees) that will be processed through the regular ETS payment system.
Beginning Saturday, July 23, 2016, candidates will still go through the regular ETS system to register for a test and pay for ancillary fees, but when they click on the link to pay for a test registration, they will be automatically taken to the Texas.gov website to enter their payment information. The biggest change is for those candidates who want to process a payment for a test registration and an ancillary fee. They must make two separate payments to complete their transaction, and this is explained in the document.
You will only be approved for exams in your initial content/certification area.
You can add additional certificate exams once you hold a Texas Teacher's Certificate.
UH does not send the TEA ID number to candidates. You must obtain this number only after setting up your TEA account.TExES - ETS Registration Bulletin link http://cms.texes-ets.org/registrationbulletin/