Commuter Assistant Program
The Commuter Assistant Program assists first time in college (FTIC) commuter students’ transition, and ultimately persistence, at The University of Houston. The program strives to:
- Provide commuter students with peer guidance
- Ensure commuter students feel a sense of connection/belonging on campus
- Provide opportunities for commuter students to meet each other
- Potential to positively impact commuter student’s retention
- Increase commuter students awareness of university resources and services
How does the program work?
The Commuter Assistant Program pairs incoming commuter students with "seasoned" commuter student leaders, referred to as Commuter Assistants (CAs). Each CAs works with a small group of students who they meeting and interact with, both individually and as a group, throughout their first semester.
What's a Commuter Assistant?
Commuter Assistants (CAs) are upperclassmen students who have demonstrated leadership, involvement, and commitment to campus that make them an excellent role-model and resource for incoming students. All CA’s are currently or have been a commuter themselves so they understand the unique challenges and opportunities involved with commuting to campus.
I’m an incoming commuter student, how can I participate in this program?
If you are an incoming new commuter student (and have less than 30 hours in college credit) you are eligible to participate! Interested students can sign up during any of the New Student or Transfer Student Orientation Conferences, we will be hosting a session specifically for commuter students, or you can click here to request to join the program.
When will I meet my CA and group?
Interested students will submit a request to join the program after which they will be assigned to a specific peer group and CA. Your CA will contact you via email before the semester begins. You will meet your CA during the first week of August at the mandatory Commuter Student Welcome Event during Weeks of Welcome.
Why should I participate?
The Commuter Assistant Program offers you the opportunity to connect with other new students, learn “insider tips” on how to succeed from experienced upperclassmen, and receive information on useful campus information and resources. This program may also help you:
- Establish UH as your “home away from home”
- Explore campus and discover the best places to eat, study and socialize
- Meet new friends
- Get connected to campus resources
- Participate in specific programs geared specifically for commuter students
- Receive personalized guidance and communication from your CA helping you to be connected and involved on campus
- Build relationships with faculty, staff and fellow students