Are you an accredited center?
Yes, CLC is accredited by the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs a division of the National Association for the Education of Young Children and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

How many children do you have in your center?
CLC is licensed for 221 children.

Do you provide drop-in services?
No, we do not offer drop-in child care services. Our Center operates with annual Enrollment Contracts only.

Do you serve meals?
No, the Center provides only a morning and afternoon snack. Lunch is provided by the family. Food and/or milk for special dietary needs are also provided by the parent.

Do you offer center tours?
Yes, we offer tours by appointment in the mornings between 9:00 – 11:00 a.m. and in the afternoons between 3:00 – 5:00 p.m.


Do you have to be affiliated with UH to apply for enrollment?
Yes. CLC serves only students, staff, faculty, and alumni of the University of Houston.

What are your hours?
We are open Mon - Fri 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

How much notice should I give before withdrawing my child?
The Center requests at least a 2 week written notice to be approved by the Director in order to cancel an Enrollment Agreement. Please see the Enrollment Termination Form.

Waiting List

How often are spaces for children available at the center?
We enroll children continuously as openings become available.

When can I put my child on the waiting list?
Anytime the Center is open you can turn in the waitlist application and pay the $45 fee. A parent must have a due date for the child and a UH affiliation.

Tuition Assistance

Is there any kind of child care tuition assistance for student parents?
CLC offers two different child care tuition assistance programs for student parents who qualify based on financial need as determined by the UH Scholarships and Financial Aid Office. Student parents, both graduate and undergraduate, may be eligible. This CLC tuition assistance money is independent of the UH Scholarships and Financial Aid Office.

How do you determine who is eligible to receive child care tuition assistance?
For a graduate/undergraduate student parent to be eligible for the SFAC (Student Fees Advisory Committee) child care tuition assistance, he/she must have a remaining need as determined by the UH Scholarships and Financial Aid Office.

For an undergraduate student parent to be eligible for the CCAMPIS (Child Care Access Means Parents In School) child care tuition assistance, he/she must have a remaining need as determined by the UH Scholarships and Financial Aid Office and receive the UH Pell Grant.

All applicants must:

  • Have a child enrolled at CLC.
  • Have a completed application for the current academic year on file with the UH Scholarships and Financial Aid Office. This includes the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Be in good academic standing as defined by UH and enrolled for a minimum of six semester hours. Failure to maintain six semester hours may result in forfeiture of the assistance.
  • Not owe money to CLC.
  • Be willing to follow all policies and procedures of CLC.

Approved assistance can only be used for the current semester.


Does CLC have a curriculum for classrooms?
Yes, at CLC all classrooms use NAEYC's Developmentally Appropriate Practices and a child's learning assessments to develop their lesson plans. The preschool classrooms also follow the benchmarks outlined for preschool education by the Texas Education Association.

Can I choose which room my child goes to?
Your child is assigned a classroom depending upon age and available openings.

Nutrition Program

Do I pay for the food my child receives at the center?
The cost of food provided by the Center (Morning/Afternoon Snacks) is included in the weekly tuition fees.

What do I do if my child follows a special diet?
Please refer to the Parent Handbook.

How will I know what my child eats during the day?
We have the monthly snack menu at the front desk. Click here to access it online.

If I bring my child late for snack time, will you still provide the snack?


Is the Center open during semester breaks?
CLC follows the University of Houston staff holiday schedule.

Does my child have to be potty-trained to attend?

Can I bring my child if he/she is not feeling well?
Please click here to read about our illness policy in the Parent Handbook.

What happens when my child gets sick while at the center?
You will be notified and expected to pick up your child immediately. Please click here to read about the policy in the Parent Handbook.

Can my child bring special toys from home?
Please click here to view the program guides for information regarding items brought from home.

May I bring birthday treats for my child?
With a teacher's permission, you may bring store bought cake/cupcakes/cookies that can be served during snack. Please refer to the birthday policy in the Parent Handbook.

May I come and visit my child at the center?
Yes, for an extended visit please communicate with the classroom teacher.

Billing & Payments

What are the accepted methods of payment?
We accept cash, checks, money orders or credit cards (Visa/Mastercard only). Checks should be made payable to University of Houston.

Where do I pay, how often do I get billed?
You make payments at the front desk. Tuition payments are due weekly and in advance of services. Your account is billed each Friday for the next week of services.

What if I cannot pay my bill by the due date?
The Enrollment Agreement and Parent Handbook states all fees are due in advance of services. Late fees are charged on Tuesday at 12:00 noon, when payment for the week has not been received.

Do I pay for days my child is absent due to illness, vacation or simply a day off?
CLC does not pro-rate weekly charges for days missed so you do pay the full tuition amount even when your child is absent. However, your annual Enrollment Agreement does allow for 3 weeks to be used as vacation weeks and you do not pay for these weeks. Request must be made in advance in writing on a Vacation Request Form.

Is there any sibling discount?

How do I pay if my child wants to attend four days a week?
We do not have a payment option for 4 days per week; thus the fee is the same as the 5 day rate.

Do I pay registration fees each year?
Yes, registration, building maintenance and supply fees are due annually.

Advisory Board

How can I become a member of the advisory board?
The CLC Advisory Board (CLCAB) is composed of 12 voting members: 2 student members appointed by the Student Government Association; 2 staff members appointed by the Staff Council; 2 Faculty members appointed by the Faculty Senate; 6 CLC parents (3 must be student parents) elected in a simple election each spring. Specific requirements for membership can be reviewed in the CLCAB Constitution and Bylaw available online.

How often do the members have to attend meetings?
There are 7 to 9 scheduled meetings a year.

Can anyone attend the meetings?
CLCAB welcomes input from all interested parties. Interested parties should contact the Chairperson in order to secure a position on the agenda of future meetings.

Are there teachers on the board?
Yes, the CLCAB has 3 ex-officio non-voting members. One of these is the director and the other 2 are CLC staff elected by their peers.


Do the teachers have CPR or First Aid training?
Yes, all fulltime staff are certified in CPR and First Aid and many of our part-time staff have these certifications.

What is the difference between a Lead Teacher, Associate Teacher and Assistant Teacher?
At CLC a Lead Teacher is a classroom manager and in charge of lesson plans and children’s assessments; an Associate/Assistant Teacher works closely with the Lead Teacher to implement the lessons and activities daily. An Associate Teacher is also participating in a “Teachers-In-Training” program.

How is CLC affiliated with the University of Houston?
CLC is an auxiliary (self-funded) service, located organizationally in the Division of Student Affairs.

How can I find out about other child care centers in Houston?
Both the Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services ( and Collaborative for Children ( offer special information about centers in and around the greater Houston area. Additionally, the National Association for the Education of Young Children provides a list of all accredited programs by state.

Who is CLC licensed by?
CLC is licensed through the Child Care Licensing Office of the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services.

What is the CDA credential that many of the CLC teachers have?
A Child Development Associate (CDA) credential is awarded by the Council for Professional Recognition in Washington D.C.