Summer MA for Theatre Educators
Summer MA without thesis
Applications are currently being accepted! Download application packet here.
Priority Deadline is February 15 for entry in the summer of the same year! Applications for entry each Summer continue to be accepted and reviewed through the Spring. Absolute Deadline (if space is still available) is May 15 of the same year.
Our summer MA program is an affordable and convenient path for busy theatre educators to accomplish a graduate degree in three short summer sessions . Twelve theatre educators will be accepted this summer to begin their three year path toward a Master of Arts in Theatre.
Classes will begin at 8:45am the Monday of the first week in July and will run Monday through Thursday, 9am-9pm for three and a half weeks. Students will have long weekends to study and to explore the exciting Arts Community that Houston has to offer. The last 5 days of class will be spent off campus taking a class designed for theatre educators and seeing productions.
Coursework in the summer MA is developed keeping in mind that you want to further develop your theatre programs and your classes. Our faculty is eager for the opportunity to teach working professional theatre educators.
Besides the dedicated faculty, you will have at your disposal the many resources and amenities that The University of Houston Central Campus has to offer its Graduate students.
In-state tuition per summer term: approx. $5500 including travel.
Out-of-state tuition per summer term: approx. $7500 including travel. (Out of State Tuition Waiver's Available)
Housing in a campus apartment: $1080
Click here for Application Instructions and Details
University of Houston Summer Master's Degree in Theatre on YouTube
- 6280 The Teaching of Acting
- 6281 The Teaching of Voice
- 6381 Dramaturgy for the HS Director
- 6380 Scenic Design for Educators
- 6282 Field Work (Trip)
- 6387 Acting Styles
- 6384 Directing I
- 6383 Lighting and Costume Design
- 6286 Field Work (Trip)
- 6180 Portfolio Acting /Voice (Completed in Fall following first summer)
- 6181 Portfolio Design/Dramaturgy (Completed in Spring following first summer)
- 6386 Drama in Context
- 6284 Program Management
- 6385 Technical Direction
- 6285 Field Work (Trip)
- 6182 Portfolio Lighting/Costume Design
- 6183 Portfolio Directing/Styles
Offsite Course Information:
- 2008- one week residency at SITI Company NYC
- 2009-one week residency at Acting Studio Chicago
- 2010-one week residency at RADA London
- 2011-one week residency at Lincoln Center Theatre NYC
- 2012-one week residency at Steppenwolf Theatre Chicago
- 2013-London- The Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts