Dictionary and online learning
- Pinyin Learning Tools by Quick Mandarin
- English- Chinese Dictionary
- Chinese Character Dictionaries -allows simultaneous searching of the major Chinese character dictionaries on the web; requires Chinese browser or fonts.
- Online Dictionaries -This website indexes on-line dictionaries, thesauruses, and such containing words and phrases. Preference in selection has been given to the free online dictionary of high quality.
- Chinese Characters -some English
- Learning Chinese Online -An excellent website for practicing pronunciations, listening, reading.
- On-Line Chinese Tools - Chinese/ English Dictionary, Character Flashcards.
- Pinyin- from University of Iowa
- Remembr.it Chinese - Free Mandarin Chinese Lessons
Language and Literature
- Index of Classics -collection of Chinese literary sites
- Confucian Writings -English translation available
- Songs and Stories of the Hua Miao -Tales from the A-hmao people of Yunnan and Guizhou.
- Chinese Literature
- Exploring Ancient World Cultures -Essays on Taoist and Confucian classics. Also includes a timeline with literary dates and links to texts.
- Daoist Scriptures -A large collection of Chinese Taoist literature. Tao Te Ching and Chuang Tzu.
- Shijing: The Book of Songs -Brief introduction to "The Book of Songs", the earliest collection of Chinese poems, with excerpts.
- The Monkey King -Introduction and illustrated version of part of the novel of the "Journey to the West."
- Chinese Traditional Culture
- Highlights of Ancient Chinese Stories -Sunzi's Art of Warfare, Chinese New Year - the Spring Festival, the Scions of Huang Di and Yan Di
- Xi You Ji: The Journey to the West.-A casual look into the classic ancient Chinese story. Includes screen captures of the 1986 and 2001 Chinese CCTV production of the story.
- Xin Yu Si -New Threads Electronic Library is a public archive site dedicated to storing electronic versions (GB code) of Chinese literature.
- Chinese Literature -Introduction to the literature, with comic book versions of Monkey and The Water Margin.
- Literature Network -Lionel Giles version of the Art of War, with search feature.
- Chinese Poem -Poems by Du Fu, Wang Wei, Li Bai and others in characters, pinyin and literal and literary English. Includes subject index.
- Song of Roses -A collection of poems by Vena Yin Sheng, presented in Chinese calligraphy and translated into English.
- Chinese Music -links to download Chinese songs; titles are in English
- Wei Ming Magazine -online information on Chinese arts and literature, English version
- Chinese-art.com -Bi-monthly online magazine, covering traditional and contemporary art.
- Tongram Online -Includes works by Tong Da-Nian, Guo Yi-Fang and Xu Zhi-Hai.
- Art Museum of The Chinese University of Hong Kong - Permanent collections and special exhibitions. Online galleries.
- Hong Kong Museum of Art - Features Chinese paintings and calligraphy, antiquities and works by local artists.
- University Museum and Art Gallery of the University of Hong Kong - Chinese antiquities, notably bronzes, ceramics and painting, and contemporary art. Online galleries.
- Art Exhibition Online, Hong Kong, a portfolio -Limited Edition abstract calligraphy created from original historical documents (China/Britain,1997 Hong Kong Handover). Lithographs by artist Pat Elliott Shircore.
- Gallery Opus - Hong Kong art gallery, showing limited edition abstract calligraphy created from historical documents.
- Teaching Chinese Language and Calligraphy - Learning Chinese and calligraphy online or offline.
- Dr Xu, Zhi-Hai - Biography of award-winning artist, links to on line galleries of his seal and calligraphy work.
- Chinese calligraphy - Brush calligraphy is an art unique to Asian cultures. Shu (calligraphy), Hua (painting), Qin (a string musical instrument), and Qi (a strategic boardgame) are the four basic skills and disciplines of the Chinese literati.
- NewsLink -Find links to newspapers covering most of China’s provinces, as well as the national Xinhua News Agency.
- China Informed - news on China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong, in English.
- SingTao -online daily news, USA edition.
- Asia Observer -Links page of news agency stories and background information.
- Xinhua News -News stories arranged by topic, with a searchable database.
- Intelligence Briefing -Links to Chinese news stories from assorted agencies.
- Gateway2China -Analysis and alternative perspectives on China-related topics and current events.
- The Voices of Chinese -Articles, reviews and forums, with links to news stories and MP3 audio.
- Exploring Chinese History - A detailed study of Chinese history, cultural heritage, news and images. Includes extensive geographical, bibliographical and biographical databases, image library.
- China Timeline - A historical timeline and links to related sites.
- China 7 BC - 1279 AD - A brief history of events during this period.
- CNN: Visions of China - Exploration of the five decades of Communist rule.
- Manchu Dynasty - Brief overview of events
- Shang Dynasty - Brief introduction from 1766-1121 B.C.
- The Chinese Historical Society of America
- Chinese Historical and Cultural Project
- China Vista -comprehensive links on Chinese culture, business, and travel, English version available.
- Tsing Hua University - information regarding this university, English version available.
- Chinese Dynasties
- Chinese TV Station -audio and video software required.
- China.com - Whole site is in Chinese. It is about Chinese culture and traditions.
- City Weekend -Guides to life in Beijing and Shanghai, plus articles on Chinese news and culture.
Houston Area Chinese Community
- Chinese Community Center - Houston Chinese Community Center.
Back to top