- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Kavita Singh specializes in Caribbean literature, working comparatively in French, English, and Creole. Her research and teaching span literary analysis, cultural studies, performance and translation theory, critical race theory and postcolonial studies. She is part of the Empire Studies and Translation Studies collectives in the English department, and her writing interests are diverse: she recently completed a project on race and feminism in Trinidad, is working on the erotic in Caribbean women’s writings, and on the intersection of performance and language in postcolonial Caribbean writing. Her book manuscript, Carnival Language: Performance and Multilingualism in the Postcolonial Caribbean brings her passion for thinking language and translation together with her interest in Carnival cultures, and it argues that performance and multilingualism are intrinsic to postcolonial Caribbean expressions of cultural and political autonomy.
- Ph.D., Cornell University, Comparative Literature
- Maîtrise, Université de Paris 8, French and Comparative Literature
- A.B., Princeton University, Comparative Literature with a certificate in African-American Studies.
"Comparative Caribbean Feminisms: Jahaji-bhain in Carnival." Indo-Caribbean Feminist Thought: Genealogies, Theories, Enactments. Eds. Gabrielle Hosein and Lisa Outar. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016, pp 133-151.
“Translative and Opaque: Multilingual Caribbean Literature in Monchoachi and Derek Walcott,” Small Axe Vol.18(3), November 2014, pp. 90-106.
“Let oneself be told,” translation of Monchoachi, Small Axe Vol.18(3), November 2014. pp. 107-114.
“A Schizophrenic Metaphor? Disciplining Creoleness.” Transforming Anthropology, Vol 20(2), October 2012, pp.172-185
- ENGL 3301: Introduction to Literary Studies
- ENGL 3365: Postcolonial Literature
- ENGL 3369: Caribbean Diasporic Literatures
- ENGL 8388: Topics in Translation Studies: Multilingal Poetics
To schedule an appointment during office hours, visit: http://kavitasingh.acuityscheduling.com