Harmon Boertien teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in linguistics. He has taught at Texas A&I University and the University of Texas at Austin as well as the University of Houston. His teaching and research interests are in English syntax, morphology, and semantics, and he has presented numerous conference papers and published articles on topics in these areas. He has also served as a consultant to Houston area law firms on questions of interpretation of disputed document language. He has held a number of administrative positions in the English Department including Director of Undergraduate Studies, Director of Graduate studies, and from 1994 to 1998, English Department Chair. From 2000 to 2001, he was president of the Linguistic Association of the Southwest.
- Ph.D., University of Texas at Austin
- M.A., University of Washington
- B.A., University of Washington
- "Left-headed Compound Prepositions" Linguistic Inquiry, Fall 1997 28:4, 689-697
- ENGL 4305: Introduction to Syntax