University of Houston
101 Communications Building
Houston, TX 77204-3302
Phone: (713) 743-2873
Fax: (713) 743-2876
General Requirements for the Jack J. Valenti School of Communication
Students in good academic standing may declare communication as their major and select a concentration at any time. Students interested in the school but uncertain about a concentration may declare themselves Communication Unspecified (COMM-UN) up to completion of 72 hours. Then they must choose a concentration.All undergraduate majors in the Jack J. Valenti School of Communication must complete, with a GPA of at least 2.00, 12 semester hours as follows:
- COMM: 1301 Media and Society, 1302 Introduction to Communication Theory, 2300 Communication Research Methods, and 4303 Communication Law and Ethics.
- To take Jack J. Valenti School of Communication courses at the 3000- and 4000-level, students must complete the three lower level courses required of all Communication majors, COMM 1301, 1302, 2300. Majors should complete them in their first 60 hours; transfer students should do so in their first two semesters at the university.
- In addition to the core COMM 1301, 1302, 2300 courses, a student must complete the following non-advanced course before taking any 3000- and 4000-level courses required for the concentration of their choice:
- Advertising: COMM 2310 Writing for Print and Digital Media.
- Corporate Communication: COMM 2320 Fundamentals of Media Production.
- Health Communication: No additional non-advanced course required.
- Interpersonal Communication: COMM 1333 Interpersonal Communication.
- Journalism: COMM 2310 Writing for Print and Digital Media.
- Media Production: COMM 2320 Fundamentals of Media Production.
- Media Studies: No additional non-advanced course required.
- Public Relations: COMM 2310 Writing for Print and Digital Media.
- Students who enroll (register) for advanced courses without completing the non-advanced requirements may be dropped by the instructor or the school. Neither the school nor the instructor will be responsible for tuition refunds.
- To graduate with a Bachelor of Arts in communication, students must achieve:
a. A 2.00 cumulative GPA in all courses that count toward the major with at least a C in each.
b. No COMM course for major (or minor) may be retaken more than twice.
- The Communication major totals 39 hours.
THOSE STUDENTS PREVIOUSLY DECLARED MAY COMPLETE THEIR DEGREES UNDER THE CATALOG IN EFFECT AT THE TIME OF DECLARATION.