The Jack J. Valenti School of Communication Alumni Association is pleased to announce the availability of two $2,000 scholarships for the 2014-2015 academic year.
The scholarships will be paid in two installments of $1,000 each in the fall and spring semesters to assist with tuition, fees and textbook costs. The recipients must enroll full time each semester, and must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.50 at the close of the fall semester to receive the spring installment. These awards apply only to students attending the University of Houston Main Campus and not other universities in the UH System.
Eligibility Requirements – All students enrolling or currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program in 2014 at the School of Communication are eligible to apply. The following criteria must be met:
- U.S. citizen or permanent Texas resident.
- Texas high school graduate approved for admission to the UH main campus in the 2014-2015 academic year without waiver, on an unconditional basis, OR current School of Communication undergraduate.
- Full time enrollment (12 hours per semester) at the UH main campus.
- 3.20 minimum cumulative high school GPA (for new undergrads).
- 3.50 minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA (for current undergrads).
- Declared Communication major.
The scholarship selection committee will consider academic performance, financial need, extracurricular activities, and the personal essay. The committee will also consider the applicant’s level of interest and experience in the communication field, although experience is not required for consideration. The committee will determine the relative weight given to each criterion. There are no restrictions to applicants based on gender, race, nationality, physical disability or sexual orientation.
Top candidates may be asked to participate in a brief telephone interview.
Recipients will be notified in no later than May 23, 2014 and are required to attend the Valenti School of Communication Alumni Association’s annual meeting, to be held in August 2014, to accept the awards.
Applications must be mailed to the Houston Alumni Association office. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. Include the following items in the application package:
- Completed and signed application (Application Form).
- Official high school transcript(s) - Incoming Freshmen applicants only.
- Official undergraduate transcript(s) – Current undergraduate applicants only.
- A minimum of two letters of recommendation. One must come from a teacher/professor, and the other(s) may come from a teacher/professor, advisor, community leader, employer or counselor.
Application packages must be received or postmarked by April 18, 2014 to be considered. Mail complete application package to:
VSOCAA Scholarship Committee
Houston Alumni Association
P. O. Box 230345
Houston, Texas 77223-0345
Questions? Please contact Tempest Solcich