2014 College Career Days
Students from area high schools converged on the University of Houston to learn how the University might fit into their higher education plans. The College Career Day, sponsored by the Center for Mexican American Studies (CMAS), was from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. on Oct. 2, Oct 16, Oct. 29 and Nov. 13 at the UH University Center ballroom. Representatives from Admissions and Financial Aid were on hand to provide valuable information regarding the application process to UH. There were also some talented artist on hand to provide educational entertainment for the students.
In the News
- Alfred Castillo former CMAS Alumni and University of Houston Graduate ‘98
CMAS would like to congratulate a former alumni of the AAP program and University of Houston Graduate class of ’98 Mr. Alfred Castillo. Mr. Castillo is presently a P.E. , PVF/PPE Strategic Sourcing Manager, Global Purchasing with The Dow Chemical Company but he has also been busy creating a successful career in the film world.
- José Angel Hernández awarded Fulbright Scholar Fellowship to Mexico
CMAS congratulates Visiting Scholar José Angel Hernández, Ph.D. on being awarded a Fulbright Scholar Fellowship to Mexico. He will continue research on repatriated Mexicans in the 19th and early 20th centuries. We wish him well on this new endeavor.
- Congratulations to CMAS Graduate Fellow Ana Rodriguez
TCMAS Graduate Fellow Ana Rodriguez is among a select group of women chosen as delegates to the United Nations Conference. The conference will be held on March 8-15, at U.N. headquarters in New York. Rodriguez is currently in her second year as a graduate fellow with CMAS and pursuing a specialization in political social work.
- Longstanding Chicano Mural now part of new UH bookstore
The iconic UH Chicano Mural once located in the Cougar Den for 40 years has been preserved by a team of art conservators and can now be admired as part of the new UH Barnes & Noble bookstore. UH art students Mario Gonzalez and Ruben Reyna created the mural in 1972 to celebrate Mexican- American Culture on campus.
- CMAS would like to congratulate AAP-UH senior Mandy Acevedo!
On December 20, 2013 AAP-UH senior Mandy Acevedo will be among the many CLASS graduates this Fall. Ms. Acevedo will receive her bachelor’s degree in psychology after just 3 and a half years of starting college. We wish her the best and much success in her future endeavors!!
- Film and History Symposium of Spanish Texas
The University of Houston Center for Mexican American Studies presented a Film and History Symposium of Spanish Texas on Tuesday, November 19, 2013 starting at 5 p.m. The event was free and open to the public. Location: University of Houston Campus Farish Hall KIVA Room, 1st Floor 4800 Calhoun Rd. Houston, Texas
- Symposium: “President John F. Kennedy, LULAC and the Mexican American Vote,”
The University of Houston Center for Mexican American Studies (CMAS) is hosting a symposium, “President John F. Kennedy, LULAC and the Mexican American Vote,” at noon, Wednesday, Nov. 20 at Hilton University of Houston, Flamingo room. The event is free and open to the public.
- CMAS visits Univision’s “Nuestra Vida”
Rebeca Treviño (center), AAP-UH Program Manager and Myrna Garcia (left), AAP-UH Sophomore, Biology Major were interviewed for “Nuestra Vida”, Univision’s public affairs show hosted and produced by Grace Olivares, Public Affairs Director for Univision. They discussed the upcoming 17th Annual Noche Cultural banquet and talked about the Academic Achievers program at the center and its accolades and achievements of excellence in higher education. The show will air Sunday, November 10, 2013 on UniMás 67 at 6:30 a.m.
- City of Houston Honors UH Professor with Hispanic Heritage Award
- UH Moment: "Jimenez"
- UH Moment: "Brightest Star Award"
- Eva Longoria graduates,earns Master's in Chicano Studies NBCLatino
- US university helps keep Hispanic youth in education CCTV News
- UH Moment: "Chicano Mural" - KUHF Houston Public Radio
- Universidad de Houston empuja a estudiantes latinos - La Voz (Spanish)
- Tatcho Mindiola, Jr.: Finding A Way: Developing the Center for Mexican American Studies at UH - Houston History Magazine
- Tatcho Mindiola, Jr.: A Visionary at the University of Houston - Houston History Magazine
- Nuestra Vida” - KXLN-TV Channel 45 Univision’s public affairs show.
- Tatcho Mindiola, Jr.: Milestones in the College: 40th Anniversary of the Center for Mexican American Studies