After you have paid for your conference date and selected a date through your myUH self-service account, there are a few items you will need to review before you attend your ART.
Changing your major
Major changes only occur prior to an ART. You cannot change your major during or after your ART.
You cannot request to change your major to a major you originally applied to but were denied.
In order to successfully change into a new major, you must meet admissions requirements for specific majors.
If you are seeking to change your major, you must do so at least 10 business days prior to your ART. Click here to view the Change Your Major Form and request a change.
- International students may not request a major change due to I-20 implications.
You will register for courses during ART. There may be a few Negative Service Indicators visible in your myUH self-service account that may prevent course enrollment. Before attending an ART, please review the following information and determine if any of these apply:
Negative Service Indicators/Holds
You can check your myUH self-service account to see the following: 1) Negative Service Indicators on their account (if any) and 2) What to do or details related to these Negative Service Indicators. If you see a red circle with a line through it, this is a Negative Service Indicator icon, which means there is a HOLD on the your record. You can either click on the icon or click on the text link under the HOLDs section in the Student Service Center of your account to reveal more information about the HOLD and the steps to remove it.
Texas Success Initiative
- You are required to clear the Texas Success Initative, or TSI, requirement before you will be allowed to enroll in classes.
- The TSI is a state-legislated program designed to ensure that students enrolled in public colleges and universities possess the academic skills needed to perform effectively in college-level course work.
- TSI replaced TASP, the Texas Academic Skills Program, as of the Fall 2003 term.
- If you graduated from a Texas public high school, you may be exempt; for a complete understanding of exemptions, please click here.
- If you have questions about the TSI requirements, please contact Exploratory Studies at 832-842-2100.
Math Placement Exam
- All newly admitted students must take the Math Placement Exam. SAT and AP scores do not make you exempt.
- Before you can take the Math Placement Exam, you will need to create an account with CASA and take the Math Placement Exam. To do this, visit the Math Placement Exams website and follow the instructions.
- You cannot attend your ART and enroll in math- or science-related courses if you have not completed the Math Placement Requirements.
Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination
Beginning January 2014, Texas State law (SB 62) mandates that all entering students under the age of 22 provide a certificate signed by a health care provider or an official immunization record verifying that a student has been vaccinated against bacterial meningitis, or has received a booster during the five years prior to registration.
If you have not provided documentation verifying that a bacterial meningitis vaccination has been received, you will have a HOLD placed on your account. The HOLD will be removed once official documentation is received by the University of Houston. A HOLD will prevent you from registering for classes — registration takes place at New Student Conferences — so you must fulfill this requirement before or upon arrival to your ART.
Vaccinations will be available at the UH Health Center during New Student Conferences for a fee of $136. It is recommended that you receive the vaccination before your ART because your current health care provider may be able to offer it at a lower cost. Upon administration of the vaccination, you should present the documentation to the Office of Admissions in the Welcome Center.
Please note: You are required to fulfill the vaccination requirement a minimum of 10 days before the first day of classes. Some conferences are less than 10 days before the start of the term. In this case, you must meet the 10-day deadline. The option to receive the vaccination at New Students Conferences is not available.
For more information regarding the bacterial meningitis requirement, please visit www.uh.edu/immunization.