Preparing for college is an exciting and overwhelming time! Your New Student Orientation (NSO) is designed to assist you with your academic, social and cultural transition to UH. We will help you slowly begin the process of becoming a Cougar! Here's what you can expect to learn while at your NSO:
- Complete a class schedule in your chosen major
- Have a comprehensive academic advising session
- Gain more knowledge of student support services, the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services, and the UH academic experience
- Gain a better understanding of the personal and financial responsibilities of attending college
- Reduce anxiety about the transition to collegiate life
- Understand the necessity of students taking ownership and academic responsibility in their educational process
- Begin to embrace UH's traditions and experience the UH family
Bring These Items:
- Government-issued photo ID
- Final transcripts from your high school and/or former college(s) if you have not submitted them to UH already
- Casual clothes, including comfortable walking shoes; we will be walking!
- Umbrella or raincoat (just in case, it IS Houston after all, if you don't like the weather just wait 5 minutes and it will change)
Optional items include:
- Proof of scores for Math or English placement exams, Advanced Placement tests, SAT, ACT, THEA and any other applicable tests
- Alarm clock
- A blanket or light jacket (if you get cold easily)
- Snacks for your room (early dinner)
You are required to stay on campus overnight during NSO. Linens are provided, but you might want to bring your own blankets and other comforts from home. While staying overnight, you will participate in the late-night programming scheduled for new students. For this reason, you are encouraged to bring items such as snacks, travel alarm clock, shower shoes, extra blankets and pillows to use during your stay.
Note: Conference housing is ONLY available for the May, June and July conferences.
Your NSO fee is all-inclusive and non-refundable. Housing is provided free of charge the first night of NSO. We do not provide housing the day prior to or after a conference. If you need accommodations, you must make arrangements at local hotels.