What to expect at NSO
What to Bring
All students should bring the following to Orientation:
- Government-issued photo ID
- Final transcripts from your high school and/or former college/s if you have not submitted them to UH already
- Casual clothes, including comfortable walking shoes
- Umbrella or raincoat (just in case)
Optional items include:
- Proof of scores for Math or English placement exams, Advanced Placement tests, SAT, ACT, THEA, and any other applicable tests
- Alarm clock
- A blanket (if you get cold easily)
Overnight Housing for Orientation
New students are required to stay on campus overnight during New Student Orientation. Linens are provided, but students might want to bring their own blankets and other comforts from home. While staying overnight, students participate in the late-night programming scheduled for new students. Students attend a student organization carnival, a dance party, float-in movie at the pool and more! Please bring items such as a swimsuit, travel alarm clock, extra blankets, and pillows to use during your stay.
Note: Conference housing is ONLY available for the May, June and July conferences.
- Housing is provided for the first night of NSO free of charge.
- We do not have the ability to provide housing the day prior to or after a conference. Students needing accommodations must make arrangements at local hotels.
Accessible rooms are available for students or guests who have disabilities. Please call Chris Miller at 713-743-6062 for more information.
We are not able to offer housing to our family members and guests. Guests accompanying students can take advantage of the Hilton Hotel on campus for overnight accommodations or make reservations at any of the surrounding hotels in the area. For more information about the Hilton Hotel on campus, please visit the Hilton Reservation Page and look for the Group Name: New Student and Transfer Student Orientation and Group Code: NSO.
Local hotels are able to provide discounts to UH visitors. Please visit the University of Houston Travel Portal for a list of participating hotels.
Fees and Deadline
Fees are non-refundable. All fees will be added to your student fee bill in myUH. Any changes to your reservations must be done through email to email@example.com.