Skip to main content

Academic Forms

State law requires that you be informed of the following: (1) with few exceptions, you are entitled on request to be informed about the information the university collects about you by use of this form; (2) under sections 552.021 and 552.023 of the Government Code, you are entitled to receive and review the information; and (3) under section 559.004 of the Government Code, you are entitled to have the university correct information about you that is incorrect.

To view the files downloaded from this site, the Adobe Acrobat Reader must be installed on your system.

Download Adobe Acrobat  If you would like to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader, please click on the Get Acrobat Reader image for information.

Authorization to Release Educational Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (a.k.a. FERPA or the Buckley Amendment) protects a student’s right to privacy concerning their academic records and information. The University of Houston will not disclose any information without the written consent from the student, with some exceptions as stated by FERPA.  Further information regarding FERPA for parents and family members can be found on our Cougar Parents web page. Beginning November 2013, students who wish to grant a third party access to their educational records, may complete the following steps:

  1. Download and complete the Authorization to Release Educational Records (i.e.: Info Release/FERPA Form)
  2. Scan the completed document and save in PDF format
  3. Upload/Attach scanned PDF document into myUH account.  To complete this action, students should navigate to the Optional-Info Release Form To-Do List item in their myUH Student Center and click on the “details” link.   Instructions for uploading/attaching the FERPA form can be found here.  Students may contact the Office of the University Registrar at (713) 743-1010, option 7, for further assistance.

Download the Authorization to Release Educational Records

Change of Address

You may change your address in one of three ways.
  1. Log on to myUH
  2. File Change of Address Request Form with the Office of the University Registrar, 128 Welcome Center.
  3. Call 713-743-1010 and a service representative will help you change your address upon proper identification (your student identification number)

Students and alumni enrolled before 2000 may not be able to access their records in myUH and should call the Office of the University Registrar. If you are a new student and have not yet enrolled, send your change of address to the Office of Admissions, 100 Welcome Center.

Students will not be excused from penalties on the grounds that communications mailed from the University of Houston were not received if they have failed to report a new address.

Email Alias

The University of Houston uses email as the official medium for communication to students. You are assigned an email alias at the time of admission. It is your responsibility as a student to ensure the UH email alias points to a working email address at all times. You may update your email address information by logging on to myUH. Students and alumni enrolled before 2000 may not be able to access their records in myUH and should call the Office of the University Registrar.

Change of Major

A change of major is a formal procedure requiring official approval and documentation. You need to submit an Undergraduate General Petition form requesting a change of major and file this form in the department in which you wish to major. Approval from both the department chair and the college dean is required. Consult an adviser in the department of your intended major for help. A checklist also is available online to help you through the process.

The university offers vocational and academic counseling and planning assistance to students having difficulty choosing a major. University Testing Services and University Career Services provide resources and support to students seeking career goals. For assistance with academic plans, students may meet with college advisers in the various departments and colleges.

Download the General Petition form

Change of Name and/or Student Identification Number

University records of a name are based upon applications for admission. Subsequent name changes, along with copies of documentation, should be promptly reported to the Office of the University Registrar, 128 Welcome Center.

Download the Change of Name and/or Student ID Form.


It takes approximately 6 to 8 weeks from the close of the term for colleges to review graduation applications and submit their decisions to the registrar’s office for processing. Diplomas are ordered once a student has been approved and a degree officially conferred and posted.

Diplomas are mailed directly to students at the most current address provided through their myUH student account. The diploma printing company also will send email notifications to diploma recipients indicating when diplomas have been mailed. It’s important to keep contact information updated in myUH to avoid shipment delays.

Please note: Effective Sept. 1, 2009, there is a $25 fee for each additional diploma ordered (postmarked by or after this date). This fee does not apply to the initial diploma mailed upon graduation, but will apply to additional quantities as requested via the diploma order form.*

*The fee is applicable to diplomas requested as a result of a diploma name change. Diploma names must be provided at the time of completing the online graduation application. Failure to do so may result in a $25 diploma order fee for subsequent name changes.

Download the Diploma Order Form

General Petition

This form has multiple uses, including:

  • Change of admission status
  • Change of classification
  • Course overload
  • Change in degree objective (B.A. to B.S.)
  • Degree requirement exception
  • Graduate studies leave of absence
  • Graduate studies reinstatement
  • Change of major
  • Writing proficiency requirement exemption
  • Special problem course request
  • Other (Request or petitions not covered by any other form)

Download the General Petition Form

Graduate General Petition Form

Download the Graduate General Petition Form

Inter-Institutional Course Registration Form

Download the Inter-Institutional Course Registration Form

Request to Withhold or Release Public Information

Download the Request to Withhold or Release Public Information Form

Residency Questionnaire

Download the Residency Questionnaire Form

Term Withdrawal Requests

Please note: Term withdrawal means the student is dropping all courses in all sessions of the term and withdrawing from the university for the current term only.

The general processing time for all Term Withdrawal Requests is 3-5 business days, however the official term withdrawal date for the student will be the date that the request has been submitted to the Office of the University Registrar.
Students who choose to fax the Term Withdrawal Request Form to the Office of the University Registrar are strongly encouraged to retain a copy of the fax confirmation page as a means of validating the submission date.
Any refund due to the student will be based on the date that the Term Withdrawal Request Form was submitted to the Office of the University Registrar.

Beginning Summer 2016 - New/Additional Request Submission Options

Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate Students may request a term withdrawal through the last day to drop or withdraw with a 'W', as posted in the Undergraduate Catalog Academic Calendar.


Graduate/Professional Studies Students

Graduate/Professional Studies Students may request a term withdrawal through the last day to drop or withdraw with a 'W', as posted in the Graduate Catalog Academic Calendar.


    • Military withdrawal situations use a different process and deadline. Please consult with UH Veteran Services for more information.
    • Medical and personal emergency situations use a different process and deadline. Please consult with the Graduate School for more information.


Official University of Houston transcripts may be ordered ONLINE*, in person or by mail. Each transcript is $10. Transcripts requested to be sent to Texas public institutions of higher education will be sent electronically if the receiving institution is able to receive electronic transcripts. Transcripts sent by this method are usually received within 72 hours.

Transcripts cannot be released if the student has a transcript hold.

Order Online

Students who were enrolled in classes in 2000 or later may order an official transcript by logging in to their myUH self-service account. Students, whose last enrollment was prior to 2000, must submit a transcript request form in person or by mail.

Order in Person
Visit the Welcome Center to order your transcript in person. To expedite your in-person request, you may download and complete the transcript request form. The Office of the University Registrar, located in the UH Welcome Center, is open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday and Tuesday and from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday through Friday. For more information, call 713-743-1010.

Order by Mail
Complete the transcript request form including your complete name, birth date, student identification number, your current address and the address where you wish the transcript mailed.

Mail your request and check or money order ($10 per transcript) made payable to University of Houston to:

University of Houston
Office of the University Registrar

Houston, TX 77204-2027

The University of Houston does not release copies of transcripts from other institutions. If you need a transcript from a prior institution, you should contact that institution.

Transcripts from other institutions for students seeking for undergraduate and postbaccalaureate admissions to the University of Houston should be sent directly from the prior institution to:

University of Houston
Office of Admissions
4400 University Drive
Houston, Texas 77204-2023

Transcripts for graduate admissions should be sent to:

University of Houston
Graduate Admissions
P.O. Box 3947
Houston, TX  77253-3947

Undergraduate Transfer Credit Petition

This petition is used to request the acceptance of a transfer course as an equivalent of a UH course or the designation of core

Download the Undergraduate Transfer Credit Petition

Verification of Enrollment

The University of Houston has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide degree and enrollment verification.
You may request enrollment verification by logging on to myUH and following the "Click here for free enrollment verification" link.

National Student Clearinghouse may be contacted at:
Web: or
Fax: 703-742-4239
Mail: National Student Clearinghouse
13454 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 300
Herndon, VA 20171

Veterans' Forms

Veteran Education Benefits

Eligibility for veteran educational benefits is determined by the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The Veteran Certification Team in the Office of the University Registrar can help you complete forms and certify your enrollment to the VA so that you can receive your educational benefits.

A student must be admitted to the university and registered for courses in a degree-seeking program in order to be certified for veterans educational benefits.

Each semester after registration, students eligible for benefits must complete a Request for Enrollment Certification and submit it to the Office of the University Registrar located in the Welcome Center. A student will be certified during a semester only after he or she completes a Request for Enrollment Certification. If you are considering changing to the Post-9/11 GI Bill for fall 2009, you must first complete VA form 22-1990 to apply for this benefit. The application for the new chapter will be available May 1, 2009. Once you have completed this application, please print a copy for our files before you complete a Request for Enrollment Certification for fall 2009. Students enrolled in a graduate program must also provide a letter from the graduate adviser confirming how their courses satisfy degree requirements. Generally, it takes the Veteran Certification section up to two weeks to submit a certification to the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Eligible veterans and service members on active duty or in the reserves who have never received VA education benefits must complete an Application for VA Education Benefits, VA form 22-1990, and be prepared to provide a copy of his or her DD214/member 4 or Notice of Basic Eligibility form. Transfer students who have received VA education benefits at other institutions must complete a VA form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training.

Eligible dependents of veterans who have never received education benefits must complete an Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance, VA form 22-5490. Transfer students who have received dependent education benefits at other institutions must complete VA form 22-5495, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance.

You may obtain these forms online below or from the Office of the University Registrar in the Welcome Center.

Hazlewood exemption

Students who qualify under the Hazlewood Act are exempted from paying tuition and required fees provided the student is enrolled in a state-funded program. Exemption forms and guidelines are available on the College for Texans website.
A DD214 is required to initiate the benefit and a request for exemption under Hazlewood must be submitted to Student Financial Services yearly. Requests must be submitted before the 12th class day in a fall or spring semester, or by the fourth class day during the summer semester. Those dates are available in the academic calendar.

Download the Request for Enrollment Certification to Veterans' Administration for Educational Benefits

Download the Advisor Verification of Veteran Enrollment for Certification