- What is Schedule Planner, and what can students do with it?
- Schedule Planner is an application that will generate all possible schedule combinations based on student class selections, allowing them to evaluate which one will work best for them.
Keep in mind that students can continue to use Class Search's robust search functionality to identify the courses they should take in any given session. After making selections in Class Search, Schedule Planner allows students to:
- Prepare for an advising appointment
- add additional classes.
- build "breaks" into their schedule.
- For example, if a student can't attend classes on Wednesday morning because of their work schedule, they can input a break for that time period, and Schedule Planner won't show class sections conflicting with that block of time.
- schedule travel time between classes.
- Perhaps a student must walk from one side of campus to the other, and they need 30 minutes between classes. They can schedule that through Schedule Planner's Class Padding feature.
- "lock" a class preference.
- The locked section will always be on their schedule in Schedule Planner and other classes are scheduled around it given what's offered during the session and term in question.
- Compare up to 4 schedules, side by side
- Find a last-minute class that fits their schedule
- Students must follow through with the integrated enrollment process after using Schedule Planner.
Schedule Planner does not:
confirm special authorizations
guarantee class availability
reserve a seat in the class
- How do I clear the cart and start over?
Your Shopping Cart comes from and is maintained through your myUH Student Center. If in Schedule Planner, you can clear your entire cart by clicking the "Sign out" link at the top right of Schedule Planner. This will close the Schedule Planner window and return you to the myUH Student Center tab/window that initially led you to Schedule Planner.
Click on the "Course Enrollment" button.
From the Enroll tab in your Student Center, you will be able to view your Shopping Cart and associated term schedule. To remove classes from your cart, click on the trash can icon. Repeat this step for all classes you want to remove from your Shopping Cart.
Clearing your cart does not mean that you will be dropped from courses you are already registered for.
- I built my schedule in Schedule Planner, why can't I register?
Schedule Planner is available for each term on the day the Schedule of Classes for that term is available online. This is usually two weeks before registration opens. While you can build a schedule in Schedule Planner and save it in your Shopping Cart, you will only be able to complete the registration process and add these classes on or after your registration appointment
Other reasons registration could be prohibited include closed sections, course restrictions or a hold on your account. Please carefully review registration errors during the registration process for more information.
- What if I can't get the schedule I want?
While UH is making every effort to ensure that you will be able to register for the classes you need in your degree plan, it is not guaranteed that you will be able to register for the exact schedule you want. Sometimes courses are full or not available in the time or term that you intended to register. It is important to have alternate courses available to help build your schedule. Also, flexibility with course and break times can help you build the schedule you need.
- What happens if myUH/PeopleSoft times out and the student clicks “Send to Shopping Cart”? As the Schedule Planner is a pop up, what keeps PeopleSoft from timing out?
Schedule Planner functions independently of PeopleSoft once launched. If the myUh/PeopleSoft session times out while they are in Schedule Planner, the student would have to re-navigate to the jump page to go to the Enrollment component or simply navigate there once back in PeopleSoft.
A student would be timed out of Schedule Planner after 30 minutes of inactivity. Generally students and advisors can make a suitable schedule within 15 minutes. However, if they are logged out, they will not lose any courses or breaks added. They will just need to navigate back to the desired schedule. Students are encouraged to hit the heart icon on their favorite schedules. That way it's very easy to get back to their preferred schedules for whatever reason.
- How do I view more information about a course?
You can find out more information about a class within Schedule Planner by clicking on the blue Information icon next to a course. In your course grid on the Home page, clicking on the Info icon will show you the course title and course description. In the section view after clicking on Options or when viewing a potential schedule, clicking on the Info icon will show you additional course information such as fees, footnotes, meeting dates and credits.
- Does building a schedule in Schedule Planner mean that I am registered? (or) Does Schedule Planner enroll me in the classes I select?
No, building a schedule in Schedule Planner does not mean that you are registered. Schedule Planner does not enroll you in the classes you select through its functionality. You must return to myUH Student Center and import your selected schedule to the Shopping Cart to complete the enrollment process. Schedule Planner will add the schedule you select to your Shopping Cart, but it does not enroll you in those classes. You will be subject to the same registration restrictions (permission numbers, pre-requisites, etc.) that have been required using the Add or Drop Classes function in myUH.
- Can I filter a course in my Courses list by instructor?
Yes. From the home page, click Options next to the course, then select Advanced Filters. Click in the box next to Instructors and all possible instructors will populate. Select one or more instructors and select Save Filters. To remove the filter, simply click on Advanced Filters and click the 'x' next to the instructor(s) that you would like to remove. Then select Save Filters.
- What happens when I "Favorite" a schedule?
When you select a schedule as on of your "Favorites" (indicated by clicking the heart icon when viewing the schedule details), you are simply saving the schedule so you can come back and view it later without having to sift through the various schedule options. Using the "Favorite" feature is particularly helpful when you are building a schedule but cannot yet register for classes. When you are ready to register, you can return to Scheduler Planner, view your favorite schedules, select which is best for you, and then send that schedule to the Shopping Cart and register!
- What does "Locking" a class do?
If you want to ensure that a particular section of a particular class remains on every schedule that Schedule Planner generates, you click the Lock icon next to that class. Just think to yourself, "If I like it, I can lock it!" However, remember that even if you lock a class, you still must import the schedule you select to your Shopping Cart to complete the enrollment process.
- Do I still need to look at Class Details?
Yes, absolutely! It's only after the schedule is generated that the class section's details display important information, like if seats are being held for a particular student group, or whether the class section in question is an online section. In Schedule Planner, full class details are viewed by clicking the Information icon after you've generated schedules and you're looking at the class as part of a schedule. Always read the details!
- How do I make sure that I have enough time between classes?
It's easy to do! On Schedule Planner's main page, just click the Advanced Options button to access the Class Padding drop-down box. Select from a list of five-minute intervals between 0 and 90. Do you need half an hour between classes? Select 30 minutes. Done! (Remember, however, that most classes observe standard meeting times and already allow for 10 minutes between classes. If you add more class padding to your schedule, you might have to alter that choice if Schedule Planner doesn't generate class schedules that work for you.)
TIP! If you add multiple, optional breaks, when you generate your schedule you can experiment by checking or unchecking the box to the left of various breaks so you can analyze the impact on resulting schedule options.
- How do students drop classes?
Dropping a class will be initiated the same way as in the past and not through Schedule Planner. Through the student's registration area, the student will click on the link to drop, select the class, and finish the process until a message of successful completion is received.
More Coming Soon!
Have a question? Please contact us!